Granite Headstones 101
When choosing a headstone for your loved one’s grave, you will have many decisions to make. Other than the design and embellishments you wish to have, one major element to choose is what material the headstone will made from. Although there are several materials to choose from, one of the most common is granite. Directors of funeral homes in Camden, SC. share more about this material and why is it is so popular.
What is a Granite Headstone?
A granite headstone is simply a headstone made from granite stone. They are what you most likely think of when you imagine a headstone. Granite is a durable material and can be available in several colors. Because granite is such a durable material, it can withstand most climates and, with regular maintenance, a granite headstone can last up to fifty years or longer.
Granite headstones can come in a variety of price points depending on the size, shape, and other factors you choose. A typical black engraved granite headstone will run on average around $500.
Granite Headstone Designs
Although granite headstones can be designed in a variety of shapes and symbols, there are a few common choices. These include:
- Traditional Headstone -These headstones are normally made in a rectangular shape and have the name of the deceased as well as the date of birth and date of death engraved on the front.
- Laser-Etched Headstone - This type of work adds to the overall price but is a nice addition for those families who may wish to include images of their loved one on the headstone. This process gives a more detailed, clearer image than regular engraving.
- Flat Grave Markers - These markers are different than upright headstones as these lay flush to the ground. They are a good option for those on a tighter or limited budget as they tend to not be as expensive as upright monuments.
- Heart Shaped Headstones - This is a very popular design as it makes the headstone in the shape of a heart. This can make a lovely tribute to your loved one as it symbolizes love.
- Granite Cross Headstones - The cross is another very popular granite design. These crosses can be made to look like the Christian cross, Celtic cross, or any other shape of cross you would like to have.
Where to Purchase a Granite Headstone
Granite headstones can be purchased anywhere headstones are available. With granite being such a widely chosen material, you can buy them in brick and mortar shops as well as online. Just keep into account any charges such as shipping and handling when ordering online so you make sure to stay within your budget.
Also, it is important when making arrangements with funeral homes in Camden, SC. that you keep in consideration any polices the cemetery has on what type of headstones are permitted. Many cemeteries have rules on what type of materials are, or aren’t allowed as well as some may not allow certain shapes or designs of headstones.